Be Part of Something Special
Great American Restaurants owns and operates 12 high volume, upscale casual restaurants and an artisan bakery, Best Buns Bread Company in the Washington D.C. area. We have recently expanded into Montgomery County with the opening of Coastal Flats in Gaithersburg, MD. All of our restaurants emphasize high quality, from scratch cooking to hospitality in our dining rooms. Annual unit volumes range from $5M to $13M and selective expansion in top locations in the Washington D.C. market is an ongoing high priority. All levels within Great American Restaurants, from executive to management and hourly staff members are driven daily by a mission statement and core values that focus on a never-ending and passionate pursuit of operational excellence. The company's mission is simple - "World's Best Operator of Casual Restaurants."
Restaurant Manager and Kitchen Manager training length and expectations are tailored to meet the talents of the individual manager. Our programs range from entry level to an Accelerated Development Program for current GM's, Chefs, and Regional Directors of high volume restaurants.
Restaurant Manager Training Program (MIT)
- 12-26 week program including extensive "hands on" learning in hourly functions, including: kitchen boot camp, host, server, and bar operations
- Development of management skills including: running a high volume expo, dining room management, selection, and performance evaluation
- Practical tests and development facilitated by department experts
Kitchen Manager Training Program (KMIT)
14-26 week program including extensive "hands on" learning in all hourly kitchen functions including: dish, maintenance, butcher, prep, S&D, saute, fry, and grill stations.
- Development of management skills, including: running a high volume expo, opening and closing manager functions, sanitation, purchasing, and cost control.
- Practical tests and development facilitated by department experts.
We offer several continuing education and experiential learning opportunities for our managers. We hire people who are naturally curious and accent their work experience with additional learning opportunities.
- AGM Development Program is a way for AGMs or AGM candidates to receive direct feedback on what skills they need in order to become a Managing Partner.
- GAR State is a weeklong learning experience designed to ignite our managers' passion for food and hospitality.
- Education Days are quarterly opportunities for managers to participate in off-site learning. Activities include community service, bread baking at Best Buns, classes at L'Academie de Cuisine and farm tours inspire us to continue learning that Food is Fun!
- Compensation and Bonus Program: Beginning salaries are some of the best in the industry. Quarterly bonuses are awarded to both management teams and individuals based on results. In addition, we reward ten of our managers for their outstanding performance with our annual Soaring Stars trip in California.
- Vacation: Managers accrue one week vacation every four months (totaling three weeks per year) for their first five years as a manager with GAR. After 5 years with GAR, Managers accrue four weeks per year.
- Insurance is offered through Aetna Innovation Health and Delta Dental.
- 401K is available on the January 1st or July 1st following his or her one year anniversary and administered through Alerus Retirement Solutions.
- Social Events are held throughout the year for managers. The annual holiday party, concerts at Wolf Trap, and monthly outings with the CEO are a few of the events held. GAR also purchases season tickets to the Nationals, DC United, and Washington Capitals for the management team.