Be Part of Something Special
Great American Restaurants owns and operates 14 high volume, upscale casual restaurants and 2 artisan bakeries in the Washington DC area. We emphasize high quality in everything we do. Our food is made fresh from scratch daily with the highest quality ingredients, and our level of service and hospitality continues to raise the bar as the industry standard. All members of Great American Restaurants, from the executive team to the hourly teams, are driven by our mission statement and core values that focus on the passionate pursuit of operational excellence. Our mission is simple – “Be the World’s Best Operator of Casual Restaurants”.
Our dynamic, highly comprehensive training programs are tailored to meet the talents of each individual. New hospitality and culinary professionals as well as those who have experience as general managers, chefs, and regional directors are challenged and well prepared to be highly successful.
Restaurant Manager Training Program
- 12-20 week program depending on level of experience
- Extensive hands on learning in all hourly functions of the restaurant, both front of the house and kitchen
- Development of management skills in the areas of expo operations, host operations, food runner operations, dining room operations, bar operations, hiring, and performance management
- One-on-one development and mentorship from the Managing Partner, Director of Operations, and Talent Development Team
Kitchen Manager Training Program
- 16-20 week program depending on level of experience
- Extensive hands on learning in all hourly kitchen functions
- Development of management skills in the areas of prep operations, line operations, expo operations, food safety and sanitation, purchasing, cost control, and performance management
- One-on-one development and mentorship from the Executive Chef, Managing Partner, Director of Operations, and Talent Development Team
We hire individuals who are driven to be the best. To continue to challenge and inspire our managers, we offer robust educational and experiential learning opportunities
- Mentorship Program – Managers are paired with a mentor for a 6 month guided program to support them during their transition into being a highly successful manager.
- GARSTATE – An extensive 3-day educational experience designed to enhance our managers’ knowledge and connect with the local community. Participants visit local farms, wineries, distilleries, dairies, chocolatiers, restaurants and vendors. They also participate in volunteer opportunities with our local charitable partners.
- Rising Star Development Program – This advanced development program is earned by performance and is designed to elevate individual performance and support professional growth. Managers who are selected to participate in the program receive an in depth development plan to heighten their expertise in the key areas necessary to lead the business. Participants will receive one on one development with the Talent Development Team, Culinary Team, Operations Leadership Team, and other subject matter experts within the company.
- Napa Valley Educational Tour - An extensive 3-day educational experience in Napa Valley, designed to ignite our managers’ passion for food, wine, spirits and hospitality. Managers participate in interactive learning throughout their visits to local farms, wineries, distilleries, and restaurants.
- Educational Reimbursement – Reimbursement for a percentage of tuition is offered for college and graduate level courses that are job related and pre-approved. Reimbursement is only offered for grades of B- or higher, with higher grades earning a higher percentage of reimbursement. Sommelier and Cicerone certifications will also be considered for reimbursement.
Compensation and Bonus Program: We hire the best in the business, and our highly competitive salaries ensure that our managers are compensated as such. Our robust bonus program focuses on key performance areas, and is awarded quarterly to both management teams and individuals based on results. Achievements in Hospitality, Culinary Operations, Sales, Costs, and Guest Satisfaction are just a few of the areas recognized. In addition, ten managers each year earn the Soaring Stars award for remarkable growth and performance, and are sent on a seven day reward trip to a destination that is named annually. Managers experience luxury accommodations, top restaurants and wineries, educational tours and activities, and a great week of bonding and relaxation. To make the week extra memorable, each manager also receives $1,000 of spending money and a guest of their choice to join them for the final days of the trip.
Vacation: Managers are eligible for 3 weeks of vacation upon hire. In addition, all managers may take 2 four day work weeks per year. After 5 years, managers are eligible for 4 weeks of vacation.
Insurance is offered through United Healthcare.
The 401k program is available to managers on the January 1st or July 1st following their one year anniversary, and can contribute up to the maximum amount allowed by the IRS. We offer a 50% match on contributions of up to 4% of gross pay.
Deferred Compensation Plan: This plan provides eligible employees with an opportunity to defer compensation on a pre-tax basis, and is intended as a long term savings and financial planning tool. We provide matching contributions based on the contributions made to the plan.
House Card: Managers receive a dining card with $100 per month to be used at any of our locations. Monthly allocations increase with career progression.
Health Club Membership Reimbursement: To support our managers in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, we reimburse up to $25 a month for health club membership costs.
Car Allowance: Managing Partners are eligible to receive a car allowance of $12,000 a year to purchase or lease approved all-wheel drive vehicles and cover the costs associated with the vehicle.
Equity Opportunities: Select senior leaders are invited to invest in our new restaurants. We pay quarterly dividends based on financial results.
Social events are held throughout the year to connect our managers, with additional perks such as Wolf Trap concert tickets, Washington Nationals tickets, Washington Capitals tickets, DC United tickets, an annual company holiday party, industry award events, and beach condo access to name a few.